A Note to the Acts Applying
This years Okehampton Battle of the Bands is setting itself up to be one of the best yet, which is brilliant for our tenth anniversary year. We are really pleased to see some fantastic applications from bands that are new to our event and it will be great to see some of our "old friends" again.
As you all know, we have some great prizes donated by Alive Music Studios, Chagstock, SWH Signs, Project Music and Skate Warehouse. We are also working with a couple of other local businesses plus, of course, all of our finalists will play at our Party in the Park event headlined by "Live Wire - the AC/DC Show".
As of this moment in time we do still have a few spaces left but we are conscious that there is a lot of traffic through the application part of our site that is not completing. We believe that this may be because of the payment mechanism that we have put in place so we thought that it would be good to explain why.
Over the years we have tried many things to improve our competition. This is because we think that the quality of our event is very high and the prizes that we offer are exceptional. One of the things that we have suffered from in the past is that bands would "book in to play" and then drop out at the very last minute. This has often left us without a show and which is, at best, annoying and at worst detrimental to our event.
It is because of this that we introduced the mechanism of a returnable deposit. Unfortunately a small part of setting this system up has also resulted in a non returnable administration fee BUT this small fee is put towards the running of our event which remains a not for profit organisation run by a very small team of dedicated volunteers.
So... This is how it works:
* When submitting an application using our on-line application system the site will take you to PayPal to collect £25.00, of which £20.00 is a returnable deposit and £5.00 an administration fee.
* You do not need a PayPal account to complete the payment, you can use a debit or credit card to pay. Once on the PayPal screen select the "Pay with a debit or credit card" option.
* Any acts that aren't selected to play Okehampton Battle of the Bands 2014 will be refunded the £25.00 in full through PayPal.
* Any acts that have been selected to play but later decide to withdraw from the competition will be refunded the full £25.00 providing that notification is received by Okehampton Battle of the Bands no later than 16:00hrs on Sunday the 8th of June 2014.
* Acts that have been selected to play will have their £20.00 deposit returned when they arrive for their heat. This will usually be done through PayPal.
* The remaining £5.00 administration fee will cover the PayPal costs we incur in processing the payment with any remaining amount of money going into a pool to pay for advertising and promotion of the bands and the competition.
Thanks for taking the time to read this blog. We sincerely hope that bands wanting to play at our event understand the ethos that we are endeavouring to promote, which is about delivering the best possible experience for all of the bands that participate.